How to properly track your eating habit
It’s a no-brainer that keeping records of the foods you are eating acts as a great tool for identifying ongoing eating habits and weight loss roadblocks. And yet so many of us continue to repeat bad habits on a daily basis, either consciously or subconsciously, and then wonder why we never achieve any real change.
Research suggests that one of the best ways to achieve the change we seek is by first identifying, and tracking to gain an accurate picture of what we eat, do and feel; after all, many of us underestimate what we actually eat in a day.
By tracking the details of our habits, we can identify patterns of unhealthy choices.
A standard template for tracking food and identifying eating habits includes:
- Date, day and time. It’s important to understand the ‘when’ behind your habits as well as the ‘what’
- All foods. This includes anything you put in your mouth to consume, including drinks, snacks, gum, etc. Be specific on the types and amounts, and include details such as what was added (condiments, toppings, etc).
- Portion sizes. Measure or estimate the size in weight, volume or number of items.
- Your location. Take note of where you are, whether it’s in the break room or on the bus or at the kitchen table with family
- Who are you with – are you eating alone or with company.
- What’s happening. Are you focused on eating or are you caught up in conversation or a good show on TV.
- Your mood. How do you feel — happy, sad, stressed, angry?
It may seem like a lot of detail, but that’s what’s required to understand the full picture of your eating habits – so be thorough and completely honest. Fortunately, SlimWell makes all of this super easy via our mobile app that ensures you always have somewhere to log your information and track your progress.